Sunday, March 20, 2011

The truck

Today was a nice day for a road trip.

The plan was to meet Mike and Nick at the North Carolina border.  They were kind enough to meet me with Randy's truck, because he and I couldn't get it back up to VA before Randy deployed.  Ben was nice enough to come with me to drive the truck back to the house.  The plan worked perfectly.

(Again today, I was reminded of how incredibly lucky I am to have such great friends.  These guys took a HUGE chunk of their day to help me out- and none of them wanted anything in return.  I'm so grateful to all 3 of them for helping me with this.)

What wasn't in the plan- how I feel right now.  How painful it was to ride behind Randy's truck, and know he wasn't driving.  And to think that he wasn't going to be driving it for another 6 months.  How sad it was to sit inside the truck- that smelled funny, but still smelled like.... him.  It made me miss him more than I think I have in the last (almost!) month, and that was a shock to me.  Because I really miss my husband a lot... but right now... ugh.  

I guess this is another one of those weird deployment quirks.  Who knew a truck could make me feel this way?  Seeing his visor hanging on the rearview mirror- the month old bag of trash- (really honey??) - his chicken scratch handwriting on random pieces of paper.... silly little things that I think everyone else might take for granted, because their guy is around every day. 


 I think my point here for everyone is don't take it all for granted.  Don't complain too much about the smelly truck, the fact that he doesn't clean up after himself... all the little things.  Because when it really comes down to it, when he's not around to do all those little things, those are the things you miss the most.  

And right now, I really miss my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment