Thursday, March 10, 2011

I miss him.

Ok, its only been 2 weeks. 

So I feel completely ridiculous saying this.  But I miss Randy.


Photo by Christina Canterbury
  
I've actually been surprised by how much I've been able to talk to him, while he has been in transit.  But today was the last phone call for who knows how long.  It could be tomorrow, it could be next week, it could be a month from now.  And I think that thought finally made this very real.  

(Because clearly, my husband hopping a plane to the other side of the world didn't make it real enough for me-ha!)

All of a sudden, the reality of all this seems too much for me to handle.  How can I really and truly handle 26 more weeks of this?  (I'm hesitant to write all this because I don't want my poor husband to think I'm punking out on him- trust me I can handle it- it has just been an off day!)

26 weeks?!  It might as well be a lifetime. 


I can't get through a work day fast enough- it seems like time is standing still.  I can't flip the page of my weekly planner soon enough- I don't have enough stuff going on to distract me.  All I want to do is turn the page to April- because then it will be more weeks down, one more month down.  


I miss being able to call him on my way home from work.  I miss being able to tell him about my day- every day.  I miss just sitting on the couch with him and relaxing.  I miss him getting the dog off my back for a while- she will just not leave me alone!  I miss him making fun of me, and making me laugh every day.  


But somehow, somehow....... 6 and a half months sounds a lot more bearable than 7 months.  And tomorrow will be another day.  I will drag my sorry butt out of bed, put my jeans on (because Friday is jeans day at work) and just keep on keepin' on. 


What other choice do I have?  I'm a Marine wife, and right now my job is to miss my husband.  My job is to thrive each and every day while he is gone.  There's no point in staying miserable too long. 


In 6 and half months, my job as a Marine wife will be to not leave his side.  And that's what's getting me through today. 

1 comment:

  1. When I was in Boot Camp, time sometimes moved slowly, and sometimes moved quickly. Most of the time it had to do with what we were doing at the time. But the 15 weeks I was there, was a long time to go without so much as picking up the phone to talk to anyone in my family. So I counted my Sundays. Each Sunday I made it to was one more Sunday behind me until I could graduate, until I ran out of them and I was able to go home. Perhaps having a similar goal might help? It doesn't make the seperation any easier, but sometimes having a goal for yourself can help make it feel like the time is going faster.

    ReplyDelete