Monday, March 7, 2011

30 day project- Day 20

Day 20- A picture of something you wish you could forget


April 30, 2004


I am positive I am not the only one that wishes they could forget this day. 

This is a picture of Randy's vehicle- an LAV.  That big crater in front is where a car used to be.  A vehicle that was a bomb.  There are other pictures that I can't even bring myself to look at.  It's hard enough to look at this picture and think of what happened.

I think I've only heard the whole story of this day one time.  I'm not going to rewrite all the details out of respect for my husband, the men that lost their lives, and their families, and the Marines of Delta Company.  I know that it was a terribly tragic day that changed many lives.

I remember that I was studying for finals on April 30th.  I had one HUGE Political Science final on that Monday, and I was planning on studying in the park that day, because my friend April's bridal shower and bachelorette party were that Saturday, then my parents were coming into town for my birthday on Sunday. 

My phone rang early that morning, and it was Randy's wife (who, a month later would cheat on him and leave him) calling to tell me that he had been injured in a suicide bomb explosion.  From what she was able to gather, he had a cut on his head, and his leg was injured.  None of us really knew how bad anything was, and I remember waiting around all day to hear more details. I remember I didn't really react- because he had called her himself, so how bad could it really be?  (He later told me that he wanted to call me first, but his command wouldn't let him.)

So I went about my day, studying, getting ready for my weekend.  I came home and sat down to watch TV before going out for the night.  I remember laying in my bed and flipping through the channels, and them something made me stop.  I don't watch Fox News- but something made me turn back to the channel.  I was staring at a face that was so incredibly familiar to me, but I couldn't figure out why.  It was a guy- who was sitting in a bed, with his entire head bandaged from his eyebrows up.  It took me about 30 seconds to realize it was Randy.  In a hospital in Baghdad.  He was being interviewed (if I remember correctly) because control of Fallujah had been handed back over to the citizens.  It was a very violent day, so the loss of 2 Marines and injuries to others made the news here at home. 


It's a day that I wish I could forget, because it changed a lot of things.  Randy lost 2 friends, and he and the two others in the vehicle were injured.  The day, and the injuries that Randy suffered- both visible and invisible- impact our lives on a daily basis.  

Each April 30, I am reminded that life is short, so you must live each day to its absolute fullest.  I am reminded of how brave my husband and his friends were that day.  I am reminded of the ultimate sacrifice that so many Marines have made to protect my freedom.

But, most importantly, I am reminded of how incredibly lucky I am to have Randy in my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment