Monday, May 23, 2011

A second opinion

Whew.  




Relief does not even begin to describe what I feel right now!!!

I just got back from our 2nd opinion at my NEW vet.  (Aquia Garrisonville can kiss my ass!!!)

I was actually taken in on time- not forced to wait in a crowded waiting room for 30-45 minutes.  The vet tech actually made an effort to get down on Mocha's level, and really make friends with her.  (The constant treat feeding probably helped too!)  She also sprayed something in the air to help Mocha relax too- I think I might need some of that stuff!

Dr. Farthing is WONDERFUL!  Seriously.  I didn't know vets were supposed to be like that!  She asked what was going on, and listened to my concerns, and explained things in a way that I could actually understand.  She immediately said that for her, surgery is a last resort, not a first option.  She is very much into all natural and homeopathic treatments.  I loved that too.

So as of now, surgery is OFF the table, and I now have a splitting headache from the relief I feel, and the tension finally going away from constant worry over the last week.  Mocha is taking 4 different supplements for joint health, and to help rebuild her ligaments.  She got aqua-puncture as well as laser therapy today.  Aqua puncture is an injection of something directly into her knee.  Apparently dogs usually need to be sedated for the procedure, but Mocha handled it like a champ- no sedation needed.  I was a very proud pet parent today, as well as a very relieved one.  

Dr. Farthing also gave me the name of a surgery center in Richmond- in case we do eventually need to do that route.  I just looked it up, and the same procedure I was told would cost $3500 is $995 there!!!!  

So- regardless now, Mocha WILL be treated, and WILL get better.  And cost won't matter now.  That's a pretty good feeling too.  

Plus, this all is just another way to count down the deployment!  I guess Mocha figured I needed something else to distract me!

No comments:

Post a Comment