Thursday, August 25, 2011

Half a year.







6 months.

26 weeks.

181 days.

That's how long it's been since D-Day.

That seems like an awful long time.  (But really it's not- because if we were Army, we would barely be halfway through a deployment instead of a few weeks away from homecoming.  Remember- it could ALWAYS be worse!)


In that time I have sent 172 letters and at least 50 packages. 

I have received at least 28 phone calls- maybe a couple more, and 12 letters. (He claims some of his letters have gotten "lost in the mail."  Sure they have honey!)

I have enrolled a dog in daycare- which, it turns out, is much like enrolling a child in school.  Visits to the doctor, extra shots, piles of paperwork to fill out.... temperament screenings... and on and on.

I have planned and successfully completed a trip to California.

I have paid off my car.

I have nursed a dog through leg surgery, and lifted the brat  into my car for a trip to the emergency vet.

I have survived a 5.8 magnitude earthquake (ha!) a 4.5 aftershock, and possibly a major hurricane this weekend.

I've been a busy girl!

I still have a few more weeks to go until homecoming, and I am hoping that time will speed up a little bit, although I doubt that very much.  I am trying to stay busy, but this weekend especially, the damn weather seems to have other plans for me.  Thanks, Hurricane Irene.  

On a sidenote- this will be the second hurricane that I have weathered by myself, while the boy was off saving the world.  Two weeks before he came home in 2005, I was in Jacksonville.  We got nailed by Hurricane Ophelia.  That thing stalled off the coast, and it rained for 3 days straight.  I was lucky that I had power the entire time, and had just had a new computer delivered. I believe that the boy's foot locker was shoved through my doorway midway through that storm too.  I'm hoping that I am just as lucky this time around.  Although my plans for the weekend seem to be shot- I was headed up to Baltimore for a Yankees game- I know there are far worse things that I could be dealing with right now.  

Mother Nature apparently wanted month number six to end in style- with earthquakes, hurricanes, and freaky orange skies!



No comments:

Post a Comment