Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Road Trip!

This weekend was BUSY.  (So busy that I ran myself ragged and caught a cold, but that's another story.)

In my efforts to distract myself during the deployment, this past weekend was my big travel weekend for July.  I was planning on heading home to PA, with stops in Bloomsburg for a baby shower for one of my oldest friends (old as in people I have known the longest- since we were almost 5!), and State College to visit some of our closest friends.   I knew it was going to be an exhausting weekend, so I planned to leave work early, so I could be home by dinnertime.  I wanted to have at least a little down time at home.

Turns out those pesky deployment gods had other plans for me.  

My route home has been the same since I moved to North Carolina 6 years ago.  95 North to 476 to the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike.  I've driven that route a LOT.  Never in the last 6 years have I had one problem once I hit the turnpike.  This time was different.

While I was on 476, I saw a sign announcing that the NE Ext was CLOSED. 

CLOSED?!?!

(Insert complete and utter panic mode/meltdown here) 

Anybody want to take bets on who I called??  Oh, you guessed it.  Daddy saves the day again!

He, with the help of my mom and 2 of the guys he works with, proceeded to reroute me through Philadelphia so I could make it home.   I was slightly less than thrilled that I had to drive through Philly, but the alternative of sitting in traffic and waiting for the Turnpike to reopen was even less appealing.


So off I went.

Temple University.  My sister went here for a few semesters, so thankfully I was slightly familiar with the area.
We go from city to country in about 20 miles.  This was along the Delaware River.
 
Needless to say, I arrived home well past dinner.  As stressful and as LONG as it was, I was happy to be home in one piece.  My usual 4-5 hour trip home took me 8 hours, thanks to 611 north.  I did get a phone call from Randy though while I was driving, so that was a welcome distraction, and he definitely had me cracking up and feeling slightly less sorry for myself by the time we hung up. 

When I got home, I pretty much walked into the looney bin.  My dad was holding a colander and a flashlight, and my mom was equipped with a headlamp and a laser pointer.  Apparently a toad had hopped into our garage, and being the animal lovers that we are, none of us could bear to see him perish.  So we went on a toad hunt. 

That bright yellow thing in my dad's hand is the colander.  I didn't help much, I mostly just drank my beer and took pictures.  It was definitely the laugh I needed after a ridiculous ride home!!

There is truly never a dull moment with my family.

I crashed early that night, and was up early the next morning for the next leg of my trip-  Caroline's baby shower.  I am still in shock that she is having a baby- but so excited for her and the entire family! I rode out to Bloomsburg with my sister, which was so nice, because we had a chance to chat and catch up.  It also made me realize (again!) how much I miss her! 


Me, Caroline, and Sara.  We have a picture of the 3 of us together from each of our bridal showers, weddings, and now baby showers.  These girls are some of my dearest friends, and they are like sisters to me!!



Straight from the shower I headed out to State College.  I am lucky that I still have some very close friends out there, and was happy to have a chance to see them.  It was so nice to just sit and relax and catch up on their deck.  The only thing missing was Randy- although I'm not sure we would have had a quiet, relaxing evening if he were there... ha! ;)

me and Sophia!
 Isn't Sophia the sweetest??? I just adore her, and love being able to spend some time with her.  

All in all, I traveled just under 800 miles this weekend.  But I would do it again in a second.  

I had such a great weekend, and got to see so many great friends- who again reminded me what a great support system I have when Randy is away.  

Oh! I almost forgot the best part- by the time this weekend was said and done, it was officially AUGUST- which means I can finally say I will see my guy NEXT month!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment