Saturday, February 26, 2011

What a relief


Whew.

Well, D-Day is behind us. 

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me.  Which is a strange thing to feel, being as my husband is currently headed to a combat zone.  Regardless, I am relieved.  I almost feel guilty saying that "out loud", but that's how I feel.  It's such a relief to know that the last six months of emotional build up and anticipation is behind us.  I don't have to deal with saying "see you later" to him again.  (In the Marine Corps, its NEVER goodbye- its always see you later!)  I can now have my eyes on the prize- homecoming. 

Yesterday was an incredibly exhausting day- both physically and emotionally.  It was for both of us.  Even though this is the 4th go round for us (which is still so hard for me to believe) this was definitely the hardest send-off for us.  Turns out, we actually LIKE each other, and LIKE spending time together.  The last 3 years have certainly shown us that.  We knew that the hardest part would be to have to let go of each other, and for him to get on the bus.  Once we got past that part, it was all downhill from there.  And, in our conversation today, we both admitted it was hard, but we both felt relief that it was behind us.  

Nothing was harder than having to break away from the last hug and kiss- and then watch him get on the bus.  When the buses were pulling away, I watched him until the last possible second, until I could no longer see the buses-or him-anymore.  I have done that every time.  I need to do that, I'm not quite sure why though.  But as soon as the buses were out of sight, I was able to finally take a deep breath.  

The hard part is behind us- believe it or not. 

Now, I just need to get used to the 4 am calls, and writing letters every day.  

Oh- and if you are keeping track, I kept my promise.  I did not cry.... much. 



***On a sidenote, I just wanted to say thank you.  Thank you to everyone who called, texted, posted on facebook, and stood by our side going through this yesterday.  I read every single picture comment, wall post, all of it.  And everything made me a little bit stronger and braver. I don't think we would have had the strength if it wasn't for our friends and family sending us their strength, and courage, and love.  So, to answer everyone's question- How do you do it? I do it because I have amazingly supportive people in my life, who just refuse to let me fall.  I love you all for that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment