Thursday, February 3, 2011

Opposites Attract!

 
Yep, that's us.  Total opposites.  That Paula Abdul song might very well have been written about us. 



(P.S. Randy knows every word to this song.)
He cracks me up every time when he sings it!

Randy and I have known each other close to 11 years.  We met my senior year of high school, his freshman year.  (Insert cradle robbing jokes here- I've heard em all!)  We met at band camp.  I was in the bandfront, he played the trombone.  He was an icky freshman, I was a badass senior.  I never thought much of him- other than he was a nice kid.  But something about him just always stuck with me- I think it was the duct-tape on the Yankees baseball cap, or maybe that infectious smile.  But we remained friends when I left for college. 

The one thing I have ALWAYS known about Randy is that he wanted to be a Marine.  I remember in high school- its all he ever talked about.  So I was not surprised when he enlisted minutes after he turned 18.  I wasn't surprised when he called to say goodbye when he left for boot camp.  We wrote, I got him in trouble for sending him a package, and I wrote to apologize for getting him in trouble.  (I still feel bad about that babe!)  He left for his first deployment to Iraq in 2004, and when his personal life kinda fell apart on him, I was there to pick up the pieces.  When he got off the bus in September 2004, I was there, and have been there ever since.  

He's got this complete wild side- a total adrenaline junkie.  I am happiest on the couch, with a blanket and a good book.  He is totally spur of the moment- I need a PLAN.  He can't sit still to save his life- I could happily watch movies all day long.  When we go home, he's got to be on the move, I love just spending time with my parents.  I am a complete home-body, he is anything but.  He is all about adventure- I am not.  We just don't make sense.  But somehow, we make it work every single day.  

Our wedding day- October 6, 2007.  Of course he would.


Randy definitely keeps me on my toes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  He's completely crazy, and drives me crazy, but I love it.  I didn't marry him to try to change him into something I wanted.  I married him because I love him exactly the way he is- crazy and all.  Of course we have our good days and bad days, but who doesn't?  The most rewarding part of a marriage is knowing that you can work through those good days and bad days together, and come out on the other side better and stronger for it.   We balance each other out remarkably well.  I keep him level and organized, he reminds me its okay to laugh and have fun.   


On the cruise- August 2010


 I remember someone coming up to us the day of our wedding and saying, "but you guys have NOTHING in common!"  That still makes me laugh, because its just TRUE!  We have nothing in common- except we are crazy about each other.  Isn't that enough?  Why would I marry someone exactly like me?  How boring would that be??   


photo by Christina Canterbury



I wouldn't change any of it though, not for a second. 

I love you babe! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Love this, and LOVE that you used one of my photos :) - its true you two are opposites!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete