Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy!

At this point in my blogging, I've talked up every member of my immediate family- except my daddy.  In honor of his birthday, it's his turn!


Daddy and me at my wedding reception- October 6, 2007.

I have a pretty special relationship with my family, and I am lucky that I feel equally close to my mom, dad, and my sister.  My dad is a pretty amazing guy though.  He didn't grow up under the best of circumstances, but he's never really let that stop him.  He wanted his kids to have better than he did- which is something I think everyone wants for their kids- but I know he has done just that.  He's worked incredibly hard as long as I can remember to be able to make my childhood better than his was.  He's done a pretty good job of it too.  There was never a time that my sister and I came home to an empty house- even with 2 parents that worked full time jobs.  He was the one to meet the school bus every afternoon, and he would get us our after school snacks, and help us with our homework.  He's always been there.... always.   Every single chorus concert, dance recital, football game, you name it, daddy was there.  He never once complained, although I am sure he was completely exhausted on more than one occasion.


When I was in 6th grade (maybe even before then??) I started watching NASCAR races with my dad every Sunday.  I loved it- because my mom and sister really weren't interested, so it was something that I just did with my daddy.  He and I have been to probably 6 or 8 races together- and I always loved having that one "thing" that was just ours.  Whenever I hear Gordon Lightfoot's song "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" I immediately flash back to the very first race we went to together, at Pocono.  It was pouring down rain while we were driving to the racetrack, and super early in the morning.  I remember him explaining to me that this was a true story, and that men had died.  It's completely random, I know- but every time I hear it that song, I am 12 years old again, in my dad's old Mazda pickup truck, listening to him sing along to it.

My dad has never been one to say very much- but he always tells me he loves me.  He wasn't one to threaten old boyfriends- he would just kindly inform them that he had friends in the mob.  He's protective- but not overly so.  He is kind, caring, and let us have pets growing up- even though he is insanely allergic to just about everything.  He never yelled at us- all it took was one look, and one phrase- "I am so disappointed in you".  I remember my dad saying that just one time- and I have never been so devastated or heartbroken.  

He has always been one half of "the cool parents".  He's let my sister and I make our own decisions, choices, and mistakes- but would always be there for us regardless of the outcome.  I'm not completely sure how he felt when I announced that I was moving to North Carolina to live with my Marine boyfriend- but I always knew he supported me, regardless of what his feelings were at the time.


I'm incredibly blessed that Daddy and Randy have such a good relationship- their mutual love of all things Yankees definitely helps in that area.  Randy doesn't have the best relationship with his dad- but most of the time that doesn't matter- because now he has my dad.  He is the first person we both call for advice, guidance, and help. No matter what the situation is, the answer is to call Daddy.  I love that I can still do that- whether it's for a flat tire, a cracked windshield, or just a random question.  Randy does the same thing- although usually he is asking my dad about some obscure Yankees statistic!

Yankees game- I think in 2009??  I am sure one of them will let me know of the exact date!!



Daddy, thank you so much for everything you've done for me.  I know I don't say it nearly as much as I should, but I love you.  I am just so incredibly lucky to know you are always there, and that I can always count on you.  I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you to rely on, especially with Randy being deployed.  It makes me feel so much better to know you are always only a phone call away, or, if needed, a car ride away.  For me, nothing ever seems impossible- because I can always turn to you for what I need.  I wish every girl was as lucky as Liz and I have been to have you as our daddy- but then again, I'm kinda glad I only had to share you with Lizzy! ;)


I love you, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment