Thursday, January 17, 2013

Promotion Day!

On January 1st, the boy officially became a Staff Sergeant.



But it wasn't officially official until he pinned on on January 7th.

And then it wasn't officially officially official until it updated on his online records... then when he changed it in his email signature... then when I called him on his office phone to hear him say his new rank... however many different ways you say it, it is official!

Needless to say, we are both thrilled with this promotion.  It of course means new challenges and new responsibilities for both of us, but it is something we are both ready to take on.  It also means that the boy is guaranteed to stay in until retirement now, which is a huge relief for both of us.  

It does also mean another deployment... which is fine.  (More on that another day.)

I don't really know if I can really put into words how proud I am of my husband.... and how proud I am of us really.  This is something that I honestly feel like we both earned together.  (That sounds like I am one of THOSE wives... that wear their husband's rank... I promise I am not!)  I could care less about what the rank is- but this was a long time coming, and it took a lot of sacrifice and dedication on both of our parts.  There were plenty of days that the boy just felt like giving up on all things Marine Corps- and it was me convincing him that what he was doing was worth it... and important.  And then there were the other 360 days that I absolutely hated all things Marine Corps- but was reminded how much HE loves the Marine Corps... and that changed my tune.

I've come to the realization that I won't ever get to have a conventional "career", and I probably won't ever work at a job long enough to retire.  That's why I throw myself so much into all things Marine Corps- because here in another 10-ish years, the boy will retire, and with that, we will both close a huge chapter in our lives.  This, when it really comes down to it, is my career- my choice- too.  And I am okay with that.

The new SSgt has now accomplished MORE than he ever thought he would in the Marine Corps.  The best part is- he's only halfway through.  Who knows what this guy will accomplish next- but I know he will do great things, and be a fantastic leader!!  

Congrats babe! I am so very very proud of you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment