Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's Official- I am a FOUR deployment survivor!

It's OVER!!!!!

Finally, finally, FINALLY, deployment number four is a thing of the PAST.

September 19th ranks right up there with September 25, October 1, and March 21.  All of these days mark the END of our deployments.  Each year when they roll around, they make me smile.  They remind me of what I have accomplished as a Marine Corps wife, and what Randy and I have conquered together.

There are no words to describe seeing those buses pull into the parking lot.  It is the BEST feeling in the world.  (Ask any Marine wife- those buses are the worst, and then the best thing ever!)

And then when you FINALLY- after 206 days- get to see him again- once again, there are no words. 



Good thing for pictures though!!

Every time I look at that picture, the only word that comes to mind is relief.  Relief that we made it through stronger and better, relief that my husband is home safe and sound, and relief that it is over. 

I am so glad I had a photographer there- because honestly, that whole day is a blur.  (Amanda Courtney did a fantastic job- check her out here!  I can't wait to see the rest of our pictures!) 

I was lucky enough to have not only my parents, but my sister and her boyfriend, AND our good friends Nick, Christi, and Christi's adorable little girls to keep me occupied and laughing while we waited a solid three hours.  (Honestly, Christi's girls were waaaay more patient than I was!!)

I think I was much more relaxed this time though because Randy had a cell phone with him and was able to let me know exactly what was going on every step of the way.  He called me when they landed at Cherry Point, when they left, and when they hit certain landmarks on their way back to base.  It definitely made the waiting a lot easier for me. 

It was great to be able to spend that time with everyone- and what I love MOST about our pictures is that our family and friends are in all of our pictures too.  It just makes it even more special for me.  It meant so much to both of us that they took time out of their day to be there.


Funny part about this picture is I honestly do not remember Nick yelling and carrying on like he is.  It's like the entire world froze for that moment, and nothing that was happening around us even mattered. 

I could have stayed right there in that moment forever.  Nothing else mattered- except that Randy and I were together again.

Turns out, seven months is a pretty decent chunk of time.  I accomplished a lot, I kept myself busy, and I learned some things, and was reminded of others.  Now that this deployment is behind us, I can reflect and realize that as much as deployments suck- it will only ever be as bad as you make it.  

I could have sat around and moped and cried and not eaten- but what's the point? It's not going to change anything, and the dog would have starved- she only eats after I eat.  I could have attempted to do every single thing myself- but I realized that it's a lot easier to ask for help, especially if people are offering.  


I was reminded that I am much stronger than I think I am, and that my Marine wife friends are some of the toughest, strongest and most dedicated people I will ever have the privilege of knowing.  I am incredibly lucky to know the women (and I guess the guys too!) that I do-and so thankful to be a part of this crazy Marine Corps family.  

Whew- and I was also reminded what it feels like to breathe.  I'm pretty sure I had been holding my breath since February 25th!





1 comment:

  1. aww I just saw this. I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to see more pics

    ReplyDelete