Friday, April 15, 2011

Another holiday, another deployment

I can say with complete certainty that at some point in the last (almost!) 7 years that Randy and I have been together, we have spent every major holiday, birthday, and anniversary apart.

 
Heck, we accomplished that feat in the first 3 years we were together!

Because of that though, I think each holiday, birthday, and anniversary that we DO get to spend together is that much more special.  We know how lucky we are to be able to share that time together.

This deployment, we are missing both of our birthdays, Easter, and all of the big summer fun holidays- Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.  I'm thinking there's a strong possibility that we might miss our anniversary too.  But, instead of dwelling on what we are missing out on, I'm making the best of it. 

Or trying to.

I've realized that when Randy is away for holidays- major ones or otherwise, I try to just distract myself as much as possible from the fun everyone else is having with their friends and family.  I think in a way, I feel guilty that I get to celebrate these times, and he does not.  So I just don't celebrate them.  Not because he wants me to be miserable- because I'm not- I think I just don't want to be reminded of what he is missing out on.   

I distance myself from family- for example, instead of going home for Easter this year and spending time with my family, I'm going out to California for a week.  It's just easier for me to do things that way.  I'm lucky that my family understands, and is very supportive of the choices I make, especially when Randy is away.

I'll probably wind up skipping all the fun summer holidays too.  I remember when he was away in 2005, I spent July 4th at the pool and read The Da Vinci Code.  The entire book- in one day.  It was easier for me to get lost in reading than be sociable and pretend I was happy when I was really just bummed that we had to spend this day apart too. 

It's ok though- we have an entire lifetime together to make up for all the holidays we've missed together!

And P.S.- 7 WEEKS DOWN TODAY!!!!!

1 comment: