Thursday, July 21, 2011

The girl that wouldn't change her name




Oh that's me. 

I'm "that girl".

The one who wouldn't change her name when she got married.

That's his name- not mine- and he is perfectly ok with that! ;)
 

After Randy and I got married I had to get myself all checked into the Marine Corps.  One of the (way too many) stops was the ID card center.  I filled out my paperwork, smiled and said cheese, and then signed my name.  The woman who was helping us gave me the funniest look.  I smiled- and she told me that she had been working in the ID center for 8 years- and she had NEVER come across a wife that did not change her name. 

I wasn't completely sure how to respond to that.  I didn't change my name because I just didn't want to.  I blame it partly on my stubborn streak, and partly on too many Women's Studies classes at Penn State.  

Randy and I talked a LOT about the whole "name change" thing.  The conversation went something like this:

Me- "But I don't wanna change my name, and I don't have to!"
Randy- "But that's what you're supposed to do!"
Me- "So then you change your name"
Randy-"But I don't wanna!"
Me- "Well, that's exactly my point!!!" 

I'm very lucky that my darling dearest isn't one of those ultra-macho, chest pounding, cave-man types.  Not that there's anything wrong with that- but let's be real.  I am just NOT that type of girl.  I am stubborn, independent, and sometimes way too opinionated to just do something because that's what I'm "supposed to do".

(That's another reason why I love that guy so much- he lets me be me- and is totally okay with that!) 

I've never really done much because I'm supposed to- I've only ever done what I want to. I've been ME for the last 29 years, and I am perfectly happy with it.  It's my name... it's who I am... and I like who I am.

Maybe eventually I will do the whole name change thing- a lot of people have asked what we are going to do when we have kids.  We haven't really gotten that far yet, but I'm confident that when we do get there, we'll make the right decision.  I've thought about hyphenating- so I can still keep "my" name. 

And don't worry- I won't get mad if you call me Meghan Williamson.  It's a decision that I have made for myself- and I won't snap at you and bite your head off if you call me what I'm supposed to be called. 

I might look behind me, trying to figure out who the heck you are talking to though! 

2 comments:

  1. and the word verification was : crachor ... um I said to myself as I was typing it... "crack hor ?"

    ReplyDelete