Friday, January 28, 2011

Everything's better when you're cruising!

For as long as I can remember, my family and I have ALWAYS gone on a summer vacation. 

I'm a lucky, lucky girl to be able to say that.  We went to Myrtle Beach, Boston, Washington DC, Florida.... turns out, many of those trips were planned around our curriculum at school.  I guess that's what happens when your mom is a teacher... you are tricked into learning. (Again, I'm not complaining!)

Last summer, we went to visit Mickey.  Let me tell you, I'm pretty sure I had more fun there as an adult than I ever did when I was a kid.

Here we are with Mickey!
                                                                  


So last year, while we were still on our Disney family vacation, we decided that we absolutely HAD to go on a cruise together next year- just the six of us.  My parents, my sister Liz, her boyfriend Brian, Randy, and myself.  My parents had cruised 2 other times before, and my sister and I had always been incredibly jealous.  So, a Carnival cruise it was!!  

Now we Sedlaks are some planners. Or control freaks, either one.  I think planners sounds better though.  ;)

Practically as soon as we got home from Disney, we began our research.  (This mostly involves my dad doing the legwork, and the rest of us approving his plans.  He pretty much rocks.)  Every time the six of us were together, ALL we talked about was cruising.  I'm pretty sure we were unbearable to be around- I apologize to those who had to hear about our cruise far too much.....

On August 7th, our cruising adventure began.  We made stops in Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and my all time favorite, Grand Turk.

Does it get any better than this?

  Nope, it really doesn't.  My dad found out about this amazing little bar called Jack's Shack.  There was food, drinks, chairs, music, and the bluest water I have ever seen in my life.  And to spend an afternoon on the beach with truly the most important people in my life was just priceless.

(And to do a shot of rum on the beach with your parents-also priceless!)


If you've never been cruising, I highly recommend it.  There's just nothing else like it.  We rode Segways, we had our own private beach cabana, we had the craziest, most out of control tour of St. Thomas- and that was just in port!  We played Bingo, went clubbing, listened to comedians, danced through the dining room at dinnertime, and I read a book surrounded by nothing but ocean.  We were so excited about our cruise that we actually put our deposit down for the next one while we were still on ship. 

Which brings me to my next, most important point.  

Exactly ONE year from tomorrow, we will be cruising again, and I just cannot wait! 

This time, it will be a post-deployment celebration cruise.  My family will all be there, as well as our closest friends.  I just can't wait to share this amazing experience with everyone.  Grand Turk won't know what hit them! ;)

And so the countdown begins- 366 days until we are cruising on the Carnival Miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment