Saturday, April 6, 2013

One Month Down!

Today, April 6th, means we are officially ONE month down in this deployment!!!!


Whew!!!  It's been a busy month- and went by much faster than I thought it would.  Usually (for me) the first month is the longest and the hardest.  But this time around, time is flying.... and I am definitely NOT complaining!

After 4 combat deployments, this MEU deployment stuff is pretty easy.  Now, I am not trying to take away from anyone who might be having a rough time with this type of deployment, but for me, I would take this any day.  I keep telling Randy that they need to come up with a different word for this- because this is NOT my definition of a deployment!! It is a welcome change for me to actually be able to sleep soundly at night, and not have a constant pit in my stomach.  I can actually take a deep breath- and go about my day to day routine and not feel guilty about getting to enjoy my life.  I can actually smile, and laugh, and have fun- and not feel like I have someone sitting on my chest.  

I'm actually really jealous of the boy- he got to spend 4 days in Cyprus, and I actually got to see some sights and sounds and food there as well- thanks to technology.  (My iPhone is now my new best friend!)  I am completely thrilled that he can actually relax and enjoy himself- and see the world, like he was promised almost 10 years ago when he enlisted in the Marine Corps.  He deserves this- he deserves to kick back at a bar in Cyprus, and laugh and have a good time.  I am incredibly happy that he gets these opportunities- and it doesn't hurt that he is buying me pretty things too!

In no particular order, my month one highlights:

     -My iPhone.  I am seriously in love, and incredibly thankful that I got the phone when I did.  Communication with the boy is SO much easier- however he tries to get a hold of me, I can instantly answer back!

     -I redecorated my living room.  No idea where this came from- I woke up one morning and just decided I was sick of EVERYTHING.  Thankfully, I had houseguests that could help me with the "man" stuff:

best houseguests ever! :)
 
     -I got to drive home in the worst snowstorm Northern VA had gotten all winter.  This was of course on deployment day, when I was functioning on 4 hours of sleep tops.  Super fun.  But 4 wheel drive, new tires, and my kick ass PA driving skills definitely saved the day.  I probably won't do that again any time soon though.  Really not much fun at all!

     -Easter 2013.  The year the Sedlak family ALL got the stomach bug.  Sharing means caring right??

     -I got to snuggle cute babies:


TJ

Cora    
Emma and Auntie :)
 All in all, it was a pretty decent first month.  I am hoping that communication with the boy continues to stay pretty consistent, and that he continues to enjoy himself and stay busy.  I am already starting to plan my weekends for May, and I am working on finalizing the details for my trip to California.  I am busy, relaxed, and taking it one day at a time.  You can't ask for much more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment