Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The verdict is in

After 20 weeks and 2 days of wondering, we have our answer.

I wish I had better news.  

The boy's package for recruiting has officially been denied.  We expected it, after it was disapproved a few weeks back at step 3 of the process, but it doesn't mean it sucked any less to hear the actual answer.

I'm relieved that we have an answer- because the stress of not knowing and playing the "what if" game was getting exhausting.  (If I were the type of person who didn't eat when she was stressed, I probably would have lost a decent amount of weight in the last 5 months.  Instead.... I am a stress eater... and I am up a few pounds.  I am totally holding the Marine Corps responsible for that one!) 

On a positive-ish note, he does still have the option to extend until his 10 year mark (July 2013.)  All he has to do is sign a paper, and that is pretty much a done deal.  At this point though, I'm just so bitter... and drained... and emotionally exhausted.  Maybe we have given the Marine Corps all we have to offer... and really, what's the point of just putting off the inevitable? 

The boy does still have one more chance to stay in- he needs to be "selected" for Staff Sergeant.  But that is a very competitive, very long process.... and again, because of the drawdown, the number of people being selected is tiny.  (It is a heck of a lot more complicated than that- with zones, numbers, and all sorts of crap- but I barely understand it and won't bore you with too much jargon and acronyms.)  We will find out about that in September- actually, just about a month from now.

If he is selected, not only is he able to stay in until retirement, but he also can resubmit his package for recruiting.

I'm not counting on it though.  After all the disappointment we have already been handed this year, courtesy of the USMC, as far as I am concerned, as of July (if he does extend) we are done with the Marine Corps.  I know- I should try to stay positive, but I have stayed positive through a lot, and seem to still wind up in tears, with a pit in my stomach.  At this point, it is better for me (and my sanity) to convince myself of worst case scenario than continue to have hope.  That way I can be pleasantly surprised instead of terribly disappointed.... again.  

So... we are waiting again.  By our 5 year anniversary on October 6th, we should finally have a better idea of what the future holds.  Until then, we just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment