Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Day in DC

Today I finally accomplished the last thing on my to-do list.


And, as a result, I feel.... well, a little sad.


When we moved to Quantico almost 5 years ago, I was beyond excited.  Not only were we 4 hours away from home, but we were 40 minutes away from one of my favorite cities.  


Washington D.C. is a fantastic place- and the boy had never been.  So we sat down and made a list of things we wanted to see and do.  (One of the things I have learned in the Marine Corps is that you MUST take advantage of a place when you live there.  I don't ever want to look back at a duty station and regret missing out on what that place had to offer!)


So the list was made... and we slowly chipped away at it.  


The Washington Monument.  We've not made it to the top... yet!




Today was the last stop on the list- the Newseum.  It is fairly new- and right up my alley.  I am a complete news junkie, and one of my majors is journalism, so it was like my dream place.  The boy was kind enough to suffer along with me while I walked around and enjoyed every second of it.  


But once we were done, I realized that was it.  Not that there isn't 100 other things for us to do in the city, but it was strange to think that we had finished it all.


I have truly enjoyed my time here at Quantico, and I am so sad every time I think about leaving.  We have had so many amazing experiences here- things that only would have happened because of the boy being in the Marine Corps, and things we have done with fantastic friends we have met in the Marine Corps as well.


I know I'm lucky to be squeaking a bit more time out of living here, but I know that all things must come to an end.  Until then though, I will enjoy being so close to such a great city.  


If anyone wants to stop by, I love playing tour guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment