Thursday, November 3, 2011

November

November is Military Family Month.


photo by Christina Canterbury
(The Marine Corps Birthday is also coming up- which means one thing- the Birthday Ball!! But more on that later!)


You can view the Presidential Proclamation here.

I think that it's important that our sacrifice is recognized in as many different ways and by as many different people as possible.  Mostly because most members of the military family do not want the recognition.  We quietly do what we do- just like our servicemember does.  Not because it's easy, not because it's fun, not for all the "perks" (perks?? what perks??)- but because we know that somehow we are serving some sort of greater good. 

Randy's latest response to any sort of discussion or "argument" we have is "But I defended your freedom!"  I usually reply back with "And I supported your butt while you defended my freedom!"  We laugh-but what he says is true.  He has spent the last 8 years of his life as a United States Marine- and he defends my freedom (whether I choose to admit that or not) every single day. 

I am so privileged to know so many people who consider it to be an honor to defend the freedom of all Americans.  Not only that, I am so privileged to be a part of the families- who support those military members while they are defending our freedom.

The members of my military family are some of the toughest, strongest, and bravest people I know.  They know how to savor every minute, take advantage of every opportunity, and enjoy every duty station.  They know how to make the best out of nothing and make lifelong friends in 10 minutes.  They know that it is always "see you later", and never "goodbye", because chances are you will see them again.  They will drop off the face of the earth for a year or more, but show up when you least expect it- and most need to hear from them.  We are there for each other through missed holidays with our families, births, deaths, and all the stuff in between, both good and bad.  They will always answer the phone- no matter what time it is, and know exactly what to say, whatever the situation.    

I have learned so many lessons, and met so many people.  I have lived in 3 different states and supported my husband and our friends through 2 different wars.  The last seven years certainly have not been easy, but I know that I have been made a stronger and better person because of my military family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment